   Re: XML syntax (was Re: external subset syntax)

  • From: Peter Murray-Rust <peter@ursus.demon.co.uk>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 08:03:57

At 19:19 16/12/97 -0500, Paul Prescod wrote:
>Peter Murray-Rust wrote:
>>
>> my own personal concerns are littered publicly on XML-DEV :-). like you i
>> find the different syntaxes very tedious because JUMBO has to read and
>> parse both. of course i really enjoy writing parsers especially past
>> midnight, and the best bit is tracking down the bugs, but others are
>> different. so i sigh, and hack it. fwiw i translate all the non-XML syntax
>> into XML internally because XML is superb to work with.
>
>I'm not sure what you mean. Do you really take (e.g.) an ELEMENT
>declaration and map it to a textual string <ELEMENT ...>? Or do you mean

Just once - i.e. <!ELEMENT element (contentDecl, attributeDecl*)>

which I use in the "DTD" for the DTD. But this is a unique case.

>that internally you represent it using the same data structure that you
>use to represent XML elements.

Yes! Yes!!

>If the latter, then you have just re-discovered the concept of a grove,
>and have also discovered why you can standardize processing software and
>data models without necessarily standardizing notation.

Wow! This is a glorious day! I have been told I am using (very simple)
groves *and* (very simple architectural forms) without realising! "Good
Heavens! For more than [two years] I have been speaking [grove] without
knowing it".

I am clearly on a lifetime voyage to re-invent HyTime in my own fashion :-)

Many thanks for this enlightenment. All I have to do is work out how to
implement it sufficiently generically in JUMBO.

	P.

net connection
http://www.venus.co.uk/vhg

(un)subscribe xml-dev