   LISTRIVIA (was Re: RFC: Simple XML Event-Based API for Java)

  • From: Peter Murray-Rust <peter@ursus.demon.co.uk>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 08:08:14

At 13:42 17/12/97 +1030, [... a first-time poster on XML-DEV...] wrote:

[... some useful stuff...]

and then spoiled it by attaching 5 Kbytes (sic) of non-ASCII files that I,
the majordomo software, the hypermail system and the rest of the world
don't want and sometimes get high blood pressure about.

I expect of you think - what a boring old person I am to keep on about
this. After all what's 5 Kbytes?

I had a colleague in Bratislava who some years ago was charged ONE US
DOLLAR (yes, real grey green greasy money) for ONE KILOBYTE by his ISP.
The price may have changed, but it expect it still costs more than he can
afford.

I was privileged to hear about scientific computing recently in the
recently independent ex-USSR states.  Some of these countries have a SINGLE
64KB LINE FOR THE WHOLE COUNTRY. I imagine that in most African countries
it's even worse. Thoughtless attachments and quoting are a serious
disadvantage to people who are really struggling.

The XML community has taken great pains to try to make the language
accessible to every country in the world. Let's not send them junk content.

>Attachment Converted: "c:\eudora\attach\vcard39.vcf"
>
>Attachment Converted: "c:\eudora\attach\smime1.p7s"

	P.

net connection
http://www.venus.co.uk/vhg

(un)subscribe xml-dev