   Re: RFC: Simple XML Event-Based API for Java

  • From: Antony Blakey <antony@n-space.com.au>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 13:42:37 +1030

David Megginson wrote:
> I would lose Ælfred's resolveEntity() callback

One of the major pains we have had using the available XML tools is the lack of a
resolveEntity() callback. Originally we wanted to use PUBLIC identifiers and resolve them
using a catalog, but now we use SYSTEM urls and have a dedicated http host to resolve
resources. Unfortunately we need to ship tools to customers who may not be able to resolve
the URL. It is not feasible to change the SYSTEM identifiers. What we need to do is change
the URL on the fly (ie redirect through a proxy or a lookup), or actually provide the
input stream from within the program ie. the entity is stored as a string, or accessed
through ClassLoader.getResourceAsStream(). This is also neccessary if you want to store
resources in a versioned object base and have the version number implicit in the
processing, rather than explicitly mentioned in the URL (although we have in fact done
exactly this :)

Currently we have hacked com.ms.xml to do rediection, after renaming it to
au.com.nspace.msxml (:-) to avoid clashes.

PLEASE can everyone provide this kind of hook, it is VERY useful once you start shipping
stuff to clients.

|                        N-Space Pty Ltd                               |
|          advanced web application design and development             |
|                    http://www.n-space.com.au                         |
|  N-Space's award winning web site - http://www.wineaustralia.com.au  |
|      Australian Financial Review / Telstra 1997 Internet Awards      |
begin:          vcard
fn:             Antony Blakey
n:              Blakey;Antony
org:            N-Space Pty Ltd
adr:            Fourth Floor;;61 Hindmarsh Square;Adelaide;SA;5000;AUSTRALIA
email;internet: antony@n-space.com.au
title:          Technology Director
tel;work:       +61 8 8359 2470
tel;fax:        +61 8 8359 2471