   RE: IDL?

  • From: Peter Murray-Rust <peter@ursus.demon.co.uk>
  • To: David Megginson <ak117@freenet.carleton.ca>, xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Mon, 29 Dec 1997 14:46:50

At 20:21 28/12/97 -0500, David Megginson wrote:

[...]

>Not necessarily.  A level-one DOM does not require that much, and we
>could elect not to deliver certain information (like comments).  I am
>not suggesting that we deliver the information required for the
>XML-specific DTD nodes.
>
>If we omit comments, then SAX-J would have to return only the

I would strongly support omitting comments from SAX-J, if only to prevent
them being used for carrying inappropriate information :-)

>following information:
>
>- elements
>- attributes
>- PIs
>- texts

I am very happy to settle for these.

>This should be sufficient for building a useful DOM.  Strictly by the
>book, we specify whether each attribute was specified or defaulted,

This presumably requires an ATTLIST for the appropriate element (but does
not require a validating parser.) The (only) difficulty is deciding on the
conventions/terminology to be used. if we can agree on this it would be a
useful step forward.

>and we should specify which text is ignorable whitespace.

This seems to me to require a validating parser, or at least an algorithm
which maps contentDecl onto content.  Without this I can't see how you can
decide whether inter-element whitespace is declared PCDATA (in the
contentDecl) or ignorable.

	P.

net connection
http://www.venus.co.uk/vhg