   Re: Failure Criteria: Simple XML Event-Based API for Java

  • From: Sean Mc Grath <digitome@iol.ie>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Wed, 31 Dec 1997 19:28:43 GMT

[Peter Murry Rust]
>There are two sorts of posting on this subject: those people who have
>offered to *do* something; and those people who have offered to tell the
>others what to do :-).

Careful there. I am easily insulted:-)

I am not a Java programmer (yet). Neither am I an XML parser writer.
However, what goes on in SAX-J discussions is important to me
because it will form the basis of what goes into SAX-IDL and
thusly into C++ and Python which I *do* write XML software in.

I do a lot of report generation/data harvesting from SGML/XML. That makes my
usage of these things fundamentally different from the viewing type applications
that (I believe) you are primarily interested in.

I do not believe my worries/concerns are any less valid than yours. My need
for a simple API is no less valid than yours. If someone
had said "hey lets do a simple XML API for read-only apps" I would not have
felt as concerned about dropped comments, pis, what have you.

If that was said when SAX started, I apologise for missing it and unreservedly
apologise for un-focusing the effort.

Happy new year to everyone.

Sean Mc Grath
sean at digitome dot com