   RE: Problems with whitespace and msxml

  • From: Chris Lovett <clovett@microsoft.com>
  • To: 'Alexander Hinds' <ahinds@poboxes.com>, xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jan 1998 10:12:24 -0800

Ok, sorry it took so long to respond.  There are a number of problems I see
in your example:

1) The xml-space values are now lowercase, so you should have:
	xml-space (default|preserve) "default"

Or, you can also use namespaces instead and have "xml:space".

On the ATTLIST this says that it is valid to specify xml-space if you want
to.

2) Next you must also specify xml-space="preserve" on the instance that you
want whitespace preserved.  So for example:

	<bool xml-space="preserve">

As for WHITESPACE nodes :- the other confusing issue here is that you are
talking about WHITESPACE nodes in the tree.  This is a whole different
subject.  These are ignorable whitespace nodes as defined in the XML DOM
spec (see DOM Working Group on www.w3.org for details).  These nodes are
always returned in the tree and are "ignorable".  The main reason for their
existance is so that the result of Document.save() looks very similar to the
original document that was loaded.

The only thing really affected by "preserve" is a PCDATA node.  When in the
scope of an element with the xml-space="preserve" attribute, the PCDATA node
will not normalize whitespace.

Hope this helps.

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest