   Re: Conformance in XML processors

  • From: "Eve L. Maler" <elm@arbortext.com>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 12:41:43 -0500

At 08:34 PM 1/18/98 -0500, David Megginson wrote:
>In other words, to turn your list (with my addition) on its head, a
>conforming, non-validating (or <socalled>well-formed</socalled>) XML
>parser is required to support nearly everything in the PR, with only
>the following exceptions:

I'm struck by the persistence of the usage of "well-formed processor" in
this forum.  (I realize David is merely quoting the familiar form for those
who think of it this way...)  Obviously, it's not very comfortable to name
something (a "non-validating XML processor") by the *absence* of a behavior.

Would it make sense to work the terminology as follows, for clarity's sake?

o XML processor (or XML parser): A software component that parses and
checks for well-formedness.  The minimum of what a "non-validating XML
processor" is supposed to do today.

o XML validator: A software component that checks only for validity, using
input from an XML processor.  What a "validating XML processor" is supposed
to do today.

	Eve

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest