   Re: vCard DTD

  • From: "Ron Daniel Jr." <rdaniel@lanl.gov>
  • To: "Jason R. Cupp" <jcupp@essc.psu.edu>, xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 13:48:14 -0700

At 07:20 AM 1/26/98 -0800, Jason R. Cupp wrote:
>Is there an XML or SGML application to describe the vCard format? A
>quick scan of the usenet and web didn't turn up anything, probably
>because there are a lot of vCards published out there appended to posts.

As a matter of fact, I talked with Paul Hoffman (Director of the
Internet Mail Consortium, which owns the rights to vCard) about this
just last week.

There is no XML encoding that he knows of, but he encouraged me to
define one. The only constraint is that we don't call it "vCard"
since that is a trademark they don't want to dilute. He suggested
calling it something like "vCard-XML". He also suggested that it be
based on the IETF version of the vCard schema, which offers a couple
of improvements over the 2.1 spec that is current. After the IETF
issues the "vCad MIME Directory Profile" as an RFC, IMC is going to
call it vCard 3.0.

I took a quick look at the Internet draft he was talking about,
an XML version of that info does not look too hard. However,
since I'm involved with the RDF effort, I was thinking about what
an RDF-compliant version of it might look like. I've gotten
distracted by real work in the meantime, but I'd be happy to
help with the effort.

Ron Daniel Jr.              voice:+1 505 665 0597
Advanced Computing Lab        fax:+1 505 665 4939
MS B287                     email:rdaniel@lanl.gov
Los Alamos National Lab      http://www.acl.lanl.gov/~rdaniel
Los Alamos, NM, USA, 87545

(un)subscribe xml-dev