   XML as W3C Recommendation

  • From: Peter Murray-Rust <peter@ursus.demon.co.uk>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 00:44:32

I am sure that most of you know that the W3C announced today that XML 1.0
was a Recommendation. The details are at:
http://www.w3.org/XML

This is a milestone in a very exciting quest, and there are many people and
organisations who deserve credit. In my experience it is one of the best
decision-making processes I have been acquainted with. Note that there are
many issues still actively under consideration. It is important that
XML-DEV members are aware that there are active working groups on these
issues - these are listed on the W3 site. They include further developments
in XML itself, XLL, XSL, namespaces, RDF, etc.

I know it is frustrating for those 'not in the club', but much of the
current formal discussion is confidential. The various WGs release
information here as soon as it is reasonable. We have to accept, therefore,
that it is not useful to discuss possible revisions of the drafts in this
forum. The members of the SIG and the WGs have agreed to tight communal
procedures, which at times require saying nothing :-) and it will help if
we do the same.

Please, therefore, accept the Recommendations and drafts as they are
published and try to work with them. By all means report *implementation*
problems and concerns here, but be assured that all 'vibes' will get back
to the various groups. The biggest contributions will come from showing how
the spec can be used to solve problems in practice.

	P.

net connection
http://www.venus.co.uk/vhg

(un)subscribe xml-dev