   Preliminary XML-Binary prototype demo

  • From: "Don Park" <donpark@quake.net>
  • To: <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 03:11:27 -0800

I am a hands-on guy so I have already put together a version of XML-Binary
implementation in my own application which works pretty well although I am
starting to see some limitations as I see new ways of using it.

Since it worked so well, I thought you guys might want to see something
working as well so I changed the SAXDOM demo to handle XML-Binary elements.
Just go to the SAXDOM demo and parse the Binary.xml file to see an image
appear in midst of colorized XML document.  I am still having problems with
Navigator so use IE 4.0 if you got one.  If not, don't sweat it.  Just
examine to JavaScript code to see what is going on and then check out the
Binary.xml file to see how XML-Binary is expressed in XML.

The demo uses xml:content-encoding and xml:content-type to indicate the
encoding type and content  type in MIME.  There are lots of issues but I
really want to keep the initial version (level 1) out there rather quickly
to address to basic needs first.  I will post the list of issues real soon
now.

I do appeciate the comments regarding XML-Binary but I sure could use more,
particularly from the XML-WG members and application developers in need of
embedded binary data.  I realize that XML-Binary activity is somewhat on the
border of design and implementation domain but since I am not on the XML-SIG
mailing list, I have no choice but to grill the shrimps on the sidewalk.

Yummy, that smells good!;-)

Don Park
http://www.quake.net/~donpark/index.html

PS: demo is at http://www.quake.net/~donpark/SaxDomDemo/SaxDomDemo.html
PS: Robin, this is NOT an announcement! <g>.

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)