   re: XML.com mistake

  • From: Lisa Rein <lisarein@finetuning.com>
  • To: Dale Dougherty <dale@songline.com>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Mar 1998 20:51:24 -0800

Dear Dale:

This letter is in regards to the URL:
http://www.xml.com/resource/xml-w3c.html, an article published on
XML.com entitled:  "XML and the W3C" that was mistakenly published
without my knowledge. In light of the altered title and implied content
of the piece, the material has been inappropriately placed completely
out of context.

I realize it was merely the onslaught of events this week that allowed
this kind of thing to happen, but I hope you understand the seriousness
of the situation and act accordingly. In order to do justice to my
professional reputation, and the reputation of XML.com, I must insist
that you replace the current version with an amended version of the
article, and publish an appropriate retraction somewhere prominently on
the site.

I am concerned that huge portion of the XML community may have already
seen the piece, and that it would appear to be an incomplete and
haphazard presentation of what should be a very straightforward topic,
placing the issue of my technical understanding of XML and RDF, my
understanding of the W3C's architectural design goals for the WWW, and
even my conscientious and respectful participation in the W3C's
standards process into serious question.

Considering the high profile of the site, the level of expertise of the
other contributors, and the attention the site has been receiving by the
expert developer community, I am concerned that the quality of this
hastily-published subset of another article will cause harm to my
professional reputation.

Although you informed me yesterday, in person, that the content of the
piece had been used on a different publication than originally intended,
you had not informed me of the new unrelated title and seriously altered
implied-focus of the published result (from "XML Resources for Web
Review" to "XML and the W3C" for xml.com).

When the piece was submitted it was appropriately inclusive,
descriptive, and timely, considering my assignment only required a
baseline collection of technnical resources. Instead, an incomplete
version was published in an entirely different context than intended.
As an "article" about "XML and the W3C", the brief and general
explanations appear as an outdated, incomplete, and sloppy attempt to
explain a much larger and detailed subject.

I have been working harder than ever in order to preserve my personal
and professional integrity as a writer, consultant, and serious XML
developer. The future of my career, the respect of my fellow W3C RDF
Schema Working Group members, my continued interaction with the members
of the W3C XML Working Group, and the success of my upcoming book are
all depending on it, and as the situation grows more complex and
detailed over time, I hope to earn a reputation of paying MORE attention
to detail, not less.

No hard feelings, but fix it fast please.

Respectfully,

Lisa Rein

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest