   re: XML.com mistake

  • From: Peter Murray-Rust <peter@ursus.demon.co.uk>
  • To: Lisa Rein <lisarein@finetuning.com>, "xml-dev@ic.ac.uk" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Mar 1998 15:58:04

At 20:51 27/03/98 -0800, Lisa Rein wrote:
>Dear Dale:
>
>This letter is in regards to the URL:
>http://www.xml.com/resource/xml-w3c.html, an article published on
>XML.com entitled:  "XML and the W3C" that was mistakenly published
>without my knowledge. In light of the altered title and implied content

[... concerns about XML.COM and related material deleted ...]

I have deliberately not visited the URL above, nor do I know any of the
participants and the history, but the posting to which I have replied seems
quite inappropriate for XML-DEV. [I posted a few days ago about the purpose
of XML-DEV.]

The posting refers to matters which are nothing to do with XML-DEV (a list
for XML-developers). The material quoted refers to a site completely
unconnected with XML-DEV and (unless the material on that site makes
mention) has no relevance to this site.

XML-DEV has been going for over a year and we have avoided any 'flame-wars'
completely. I do not feel it is appropriate for person-to-person postings
to be  sent to XML-DEV. While it was appropriate for xml.com to be
announced (since there was an announcement of an annotated spec and other
developer material),  the present controversy should be taken elsewhere.

IMO the traffic on XML-DEV over the last year has been of very high quality
and I thank posters, readers, and developers alike.

	P.
net connection
http://www.venus.co.uk/vhg

(un)subscribe xml-dev