   Re: SAX: Parser Factory class

  • From: "John Wilson" <tug@wilson.co.uk>
  • To: "Andrew n marshall" <amarshal@usc.edu>, "Xml-Dev List" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 11:20:05 +0100

The Java Crypto Extensions allow you to request a generic implementation of an algorithm or a specific implementation. This is bases on having a set of "Providers" and a set of engine classes (essentially class factories). When calling getInstance() on the appropriate engine class you can specify either that you want any implementation of the algorithm or that you want a specific implementation from a specific provider. Providers are installed by editing a configuration file or by adding them dynamically using Security.addProvider(). Providers are ordered so a request for a generic implementation will be serviced by the first provider found which offers that algorithm.

It might be possible to do such a thing for SAX parsers, but you would really have to have an agreed set of functions that parsers did or did not implement. If you would then be able to say:

    "give me an instance of a parser that at minimum does this, this and this"

or

    "give me an instance of the IBM parser"

you should also be able to say

    "give me an instance of the IBM parser that does this, that and the other"

This raises two questions:

1/ Could everybody agree on the set of functions?

2/ Is there a real need for a general solution to the problem of working with several parsers?