   Re: Advice on XML editor development

  • From: Andrew Cogan <andrew@epiphanysoftware.com>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 10:42:27 -0700

James Robertson wrote:
[snip]
> New point 6:
>
> 6. It is easy to integrate with RAD development environments
> like Delphi, C++ builder, and yes, even Visual Basic.
>
> No disrespect to all those in the XML community, but the bulk
> of the world uses tools other than Java. And it would be
> nice to think that we, too, can make use of XML.

I agree. At this point, Java is very high profile but makes up only a
tiny percentage of commercial projects.

One thing that occurred to me as a possible basis for creating an XML
editor is the new Microsoft DHTML editor ActiveX control. It's a
prerelease right now, but as it has the full HTML, DHTML, and scripting
capabilities of Internet Explorer, plus (I think) access to Microsoft's
XML parser, it seems like it might be a good foundation.

I haven't used it yet myself, so I can't say from personal experience if
it's suitable. See for yourself at
http://www.microsoft.com/workshop/author/dhtml/edit/.

--
 Andrew Cogan, Epiphany Software