   Re: Final alpha release of XED: lots of new features

  • From: Michael Leventhal <michael@textscience.com>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 19:15:45 +0100

Henry S. Thompson wrote:
> There are no installation instructions because all you have to
> do is unpack the zip file and run xed.exe.  If you tried that and

Well I got past this part o.k. although a five word README would be
a worthwhile addition.

If you feel ambitious a five sentence README on how the editor itself
works would help.  In particular I haven't been able to figure out what
'doesn't read the DTD in detail' might mean.  My working hypothesis at
the moment is that not reading it in detail means that it is smart
enough to skip the internal subset and that the context-sensitive
insertion help is gleaned entirely from the instance structure.  It
also appears that instance-gleaned hierarchy is kept in memory until
explictly cleared.  If so one should be able to get full context-
sensitive insertion help equivalent to the parsing of a DTD by reading
in an instance or instances which 'exercise' the entire DTD before
opening a new instance.  Am I close here?

Cheers,

Michael Leventhal

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest