   Re: Parents and children (was RFD: comp.text.xml)

  • From: Paul Prescod <papresco@technologist.com>
  • To: "Simon St.Laurent" <SimonStL@classic.msn.com>
  • Date: Sun, 03 May 1998 15:45:57 -0400

I think that we could end this flamewar quite simply. XML is an SGML
subset. That's a verifable, mathematical fact. As far as I can tell, Simon
St. Laurent has no concrete proposal for how to change that fact and I
can't think of any reasonable ones off of the top of my head. We could
just throw in a feature to break compliance and if ISO adopts it, we could
throw in another, and keep doing so until they gave up.
NYAH NYAH! So there! We win!

Since there is no proposal, there is nothing to argue about and
argumentation is wasted breath.

Nevertheless, XML practice is often quite different from SGML practice and
there are many questions that apply only to one or the other (especially
tools questions). That seems justification enough for separate newsgroups.
Where concerns overlap, there is cross posting.

"Perpetually obsolescing and thus losing all data and programs every 10
years (the current pattern) is no way to run an information economy or
a civilization." - Stewart Brand, founder of the Whole Earth Catalog
http://www.wired.com/news/news/culture/story/10124.html

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)