   RE: XSD: Proposed Goals

  • From: "Simon St.Laurent" <SimonStL@classic.msn.com>
  • To: "Xml-Dev (E-mail)" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Tue, 26 May 98 12:06:32 UT

Tim Bray wrote:

>I should point out that XSD is different from SAX in that it was pretty clear
>that no W3C or other body was going to get into the stream-oriented API
>business.  Thus SAX was unclaimed territory.  The schema picture is
different;
>it is near-certain that the XML WG or some other W3C organ *is* going to,
>before too long, start emitting working drafts for some sort of a schema
>facility.
>
>That said, I think the discussions you are having (in particular Paul
>Prescod's manifesto of a couple of days ago) are tremendously useful.

And Jon Bosak announced:

>The only further information I can add to that is that the XML WG is
>working on a briefing package that will request the W3C Director to
>include the following in our charter for the coming year or so:
>[...]
>
>   Specify DTD schemas
>
>     Add features to DTD functionality (in particular, data typing
>       and inheritance)
>
>     Use instance syntax

XSD is not operating in completely 'unclaimed' territory; rather, this is
borderlands on the edge of a sparsely settled frontier.  Developers who work
in this territory run the risk of eviction when the real government arrives to
establish some law and order.  There isn't much point in claiming the
territory, writing up deeds, and preparing to defend it.

Fortunately, the point isn't defending the territory, it's making the
territory a better place to be.  Improving the territory, laying down some
basic infrastructure for further development, and encouraging others to move
here.  When the government shows up, we can hand them what we've built, wish
them the best, and hope the territory develops well.

It appears that the XML WG is definitely preparing to move into this area,
eventually.  I think we can still make a contribution by building a _simple_
system, testing its implementations, and reporting on the results.  If we're
lucky, the WG will use some of it; if we're not, perhaps we'll have pointed
out some routes to avoid.

I'd like to see the syntax completed by the end of June - a much tighter
timeframe than the usual deliberations.  By keeping it simple and tightly
focused, I think we stand a good chance of completing at least one round of
this before the WG gets started.  Hopefully the discussions (and perhaps even
implementations) produced by this proposal will be of use to the XML WG.  I
hope strongly that this proposal will be seen as contributing, not competing.

In the end, whatever the WG produces, I don't think it'll be too hard to write
a conversion package mapping this system to their system.  Though this
proposal may be somewhat experimental, I still think that, as Tim Bray put it,
"the discussions you are having (in particular Paul Prescod's manifesto of a
couple of days ago) are tremendously useful."

Simon St.Laurent
Dynamic HTML: A Primer / XML: A Primer / Cookies

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)