   RE: What are schemata

  • From: Gerard Freriks <gfrer@luna.nl>
  • To: "Simon St.Laurent" <SimonStL@classic.msn.com>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jun 1998 01:11:22 +0200

To give an example.
As far as I can think we might end-up with a framework of Context's.
Each Context is a sub-domain model with its own set of Concepts, Terms and
rules.

In any (medical) document each one data item will be surrounded by Tags
relating to each of the 6 Context subdomains.

Several parts of the sub-domains can be coded according to several
codingsystems. Each with its own DTD.

SO it can be that there is one FrameWork-DTD and several optional DTD's in
each subdomain model.

In general I can see a FramWork of 6 SubDomains (Context's)
- Real World	Place, things, people, etc
- Document World	author, owner, etc , etc
- Narrative World	the way we tell or write stories
- Topic Model World	 In the case of medine : diagnosis, findings,
complaints, etc
- Legacy systems
- Business world	Protocols, worlkflow

Greetings
gerard Freriks

ps:
In the case of medcine I would call it : MeSpeak

At 20:23 +0000 31-05-1998, Simon St.Laurent wrote:
>Tim Bray wrote:
>----------------------------
>Hmm, this line of thought may be perpetuating what I see as one of
>the shortcomings of DTDs, namely that the DTD has to describe the
>whole document, i.e. a class of languages.  What about partial
>validation/constraints?  I think it's important that child-of-DTD
>support compond documents & partial validation.  So in the terms above,
>maybe these things define sets of elements and attributes, rather
>than whole documents.
>-----------------------------
>
>I think focusing on elements and attributes is an excellent idea.  I'd
>like to
>see XSchemas applicable to fragments as well as to documents. I've been
>pondering this in connection to some object store ideas I had while writing
>that Building the Filesystem into the File paper a few months ago.
>
>'Documents' in the traditional sense are still popular, but I don't know how
>much longer we'll really be working with them.  I think fragments, subsets,
>and combinations are going to be much more popular in the reasonably near
>future.
>
>Compound documents and partial validation are a fact of life, or will be once
>XML, XLink, and XPointer receive more widespread usage.  I think we can
>prepare XSchemas to support these (partial validation is easier) without
>turning somersaults and cartwheels simultaneously.
>
>Simon St.Laurent
>Dynamic HTML: A Primer / XML: A Primer / Cookies
>

>xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers. To post, mailto:xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
>Archived as: http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/
>To (un)subscribe, mailto:majordomo@ic.ac.uk the following message;
>(un)subscribe xml-dev
>To subscribe to the digests, mailto:majordomo@ic.ac.uk the following message;
>subscribe xml-dev-digest
>List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)

ProRec- Nederland
Gerard Freriks,huisarts, MD
C. Sterrenburgstr 54
3151JG Hoek van Holland
the Netherlands
Telephone: (+31) (0)174-384296/ Fax: -386249
Mobile   : (+31) (0)6-54792800
ARS LONGA, VITA BREVIS

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest