   Re: XSchema Question 2: Namespaces

  • From: David Megginson <ak117@freenet.carleton.ca>
  • To: "Xml-Dev (E-mail)" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jun 1998 09:09:14 -0400

Simon St.Laurent writes:

 > I propose XSC for the namespace prefix, unless someone knows of a
 > conflict or thinks three letters is too many.

It's not up to the XSchema designers to select the namespace prefix --
that choice belongs to the individual users.  By all means, use "XSC"
in your examples, but according to the current namespace draft, each
user is free to pick "X", "XSchema", "Simon", or whatever she wants:
it would be useful to provide a few examples with alternative
prefixes, just to make this point clear.

 > We also need a URI for the declaration. 'members.aol.com', the
 > current site for the XSchema info, is probably not appropriate.  I
 > also have simonstl.com, and three ISBNs, but I don't think we
 > should tie this to my identifiers.

You don't need a domain name, just a URL.  For example, if you were to
submit the XSchema spec as a note to the W3C, you could use the URL of
the note; alternatively, perhaps xml.com would provide you with a
stable URL that you can use.

All the best,

David

           http://www.megginson.com/