   LISTRIVIA (was Re: Press Release: Vervet Logic Releases XML Pro v.1.0)

  • From: Peter Murray-Rust <peter@ursus.demon.co.uk>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Tue, 02 Jun 1998 22:20:33

Hi - thanks for the posting. Please don't take offence at the comments
below :-), but I'm trying to set the style for XML-DEV.

At 12:55 01/06/98 -0500, David Gulbransen wrote:

>Vervet Logic Announces the Release of XML Pro v1.0
>
>BLOOMINGTON (June 1) - Vervet Logic, a leading XML Tools development
>company, announced the release of their XML editor XML Pro, version 1.0.
>The editor allows users to create and edit documents using XML, a new
>Internet document standard recently ratified by the W3C. XML Pro is the
>first visual XML editor to released to the Internet community

Factual statements are fine. However it's important to make sure that
claims ('the first') are justified. Since this has been challenged on
another list, it's a good idea not to include anything contentious.

>XML Pro offers the features of an advanced XML Editor with an intuitive
>interface that allows XML experts and novices alike to create valid,
>well-formed XML documents. Priced at $149.95, XML Pro delivers a
>professional XML editing solution at a consumer price.
>
>"We are using Vervet's XML Pro editor because it is more cost-effective
>and higher quality than building our own tools, "said Peter Cousins, a
>Level 8 Systems consultant for Prudential, "They have found a sweet-spot
>of price/functionality that is perfect for us."

XML-DEV doesn't need recommendations :-). It is taken for granted that
every new XML tool announced is superb. If you want to include praise for
your product, simply include the line:
&xml-dev-product-praise;
and this entity will be automatically expanded when someone reads it.

It

>XML Pro features:
>
>  o An easy, intuitive graphic user interface
>  o A unique document tree outline view to preserve document structure
>  o XML validation support with Document Type Definition (DTD) integration
>  o Element Wizard for easy element creation and management
>  o Attribute Wizard for easy attribute creation and management
>  o Support for entities, CDATA and XML Comments
>  o XML code preview and printing support
>  o XML Pro supports the XML 1.0 specification from the W3C.

This is fine

>"We're pleased to see companies using Microsoft technologies for
>innovation in XML " said Adam Denning, Group Program Manager of the XML
>group at Microsoft. "Microsoft is working hard to help software developers
>usher in new XML technology, and Vervet Logic has created a solid, useful
>XML tool."

But this can be condensed to &xml-praise2(&ms;)

[... more snip ...]

<general>
It's valuable to have the first announcement of significantly new
functionality on XML-DEV, since it can help our thinking. However I want to
avoid the syndrome of new commercial product announcements every day.

Systems which have a freeware offering are valuable. Freeware offering with
source code are, of course, extremely welcome as they are often re-usable.

I wish all our commercial members well, since they are critical to the
development of a mature market and there is - I hope - room for a lot of
you. It makes it far easier for me and Henry to talk to chemical
informatics people if XML software is dripping from the trees.

</general>

	P.

net connection
http://www.venus.co.uk/vhg