   Re: Roots of the DTD

  • From: Toby Speight <tms@ansa.co.uk>
  • To: "XML developers' list" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: 05 Jun 1998 10:18:07 +0100

Peter> Peter Murray-Rust <URL:mailto:peter@ursus.demon.co.uk>

=> In article <3.0.1.16.19980604224340.1cef3e16@pop3.demon.co.uk>,
=> Peter wrote:

Peter> At 17:27 04/06/98 -0400, John Cowan wrote:

>> Hmmm.  This sounds like the "root" (my syntax) or "RootElement"
>> (Ron's syntax) attribute in XSchema is a Bad Thing.  Perhaps it
>> should be removed?

Peter> Yup :-). I have not commented on the current proposals because
Peter> I wanted them to anneal before public comment. *For describing
Peter> a DTD*, here should be no requirement to define a <root> of any
Peter> sort, only <element>, <attribute>, <contentSpec> and possibly
Peter> <entity> and <notation> according to how people think.

I can forsee applications where one might say, "Please send me documents
conforming to the FOO schema," in much the same way as one requests
LaTeX or Word formats these days.  In which case, one usually needs also
to specify the root element (this is implied in LaTeX or Word).  I don't
see any harm in the schema having a default root (on the understanding
that documents may, if they wish, use a different root).

It's not a big issue to me, though.

(un)subscribe xml-dev