   Re: MIME types and file extensions for XML

  • From: MURATA Makoto <murata@apsdc.ksp.fujixerox.co.jp>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Mon, 08 Jun 1998 10:15:49 +0900

Simon St.Laurent wrote:
> It's an excellent draft, and makes clear that character encoding issues need
> to be addressed in transfers.  The only question I have is that they're
> registering text/xml and application/xml.  Are we expecting all XML-encoded
> files to transfer under these two MIME types, or will more specific MIME types
> emerge for particular types of XML documents?

We are expecting more specific MIME types emerge for particular types
of XML documents.

In section 3 of the draft, we have a paragraph as below:

   XML provides a general framework for defining sequences of
   structured data.  In some cases, it may be desirable to define new
   media types which use XML but define a specific application of XML,
   perhaps due to domain-specific security considerations or runtime
   information. This document does not prohibit future media types
   dedicated to such XML applications. However, developers of such
   media types are recommended to use this document as a basis.  In
   particular, the charset parameter should be used in the same manner.

Makoto

Fuji Xerox Information Systems

Tel: +81-44-812-7230   Fax: +81-44-812-7231
E-mail: murata@apsdc.ksp.fujixerox.co.jp

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)