   Extending XML

  • From: "Adam M. Donahue" <adam@cyber-guru.com>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Sun, 7 Jun 1998 23:17:57 -0400

Has there been any discussion regarding using XML to extend XML
itself?  Let's see, how can I put this?  For instance, say I want to be
able to represent the grammar of C in an XML document.  I could do
that, I suppose.  But how would I use this grammer to write a
program?  Obviously I don't want to turn a statement like:

while (*a++ = *b++);

into a series of elements.  (Hmm.  I just tried an example but this is
definitely non-trivial!) Or something of this nature.  Wouldn't it be
nice to be able to use XML to define a structured format without
having to use tags?

Maybe this is not a good example.  How about a way to encode all
elements in fixed length fields, depending on the size of language?
That way instead of having to parse for <XML> I could mask eight
bits and do I quick comparison, for example.  Do you see what I
mean?

Just some thoughts...

Adam

mailto:adam@cyber-guru.com