   Re: ANNOUNCE: RDF-DEV discussion list

  • From: Peter Murray-Rust <peter@ursus.demon.co.uk>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 19:46:30

At 12:11 21/06/98 +0100, Dan Brickley wrote:
[...]
>Now seems as good a time as any to announce the rdf-dev
>discussion list. Named in tribute to xml-dev, I set this up a while ago
>but haven't yet announced it properly, or completed the FAQ and list-scope
>pages. But since the list itself is up and running, here goes. Note that,
>as with xml-dev,  the rdf-dev list has no formal links with the W3C or the
>RDF working groups. The list is intended for RDF developers and has a
>stated (mild) bias towards resource discovery issues.

I am delighted to wish the RDF-DEV list well and have already joined. It
has become clear (== has been made clear) to me that we need RDF for adding
semantics and behaviour to XML files.  Indeed I suspect that any valid XML
file that 'does anything' is going to require RDF.

>I'm very keen to see RDF-DEV aim for the high standards of discussion set
>by the XML-DEV list under Peter's guidance. I'm also concerned that we
>manage carefully the overlap between the two mailing lists' scope.  This
>is something I'd like advice on from XML and RDF developers...

I think that most things with 'RDF' in the title will naturally fall to
RDF-DEV. However there are areas where there is overlap:
	- the XSchema initiative
	- building a generic RDF engine to (say) interface with SAX).
Let's play them by ear when they arise.

My agenda for RDF :-)
	- it *must* be simple. (i.e. simple applications should have simple
solutions). Complex applications are inherently complex, of course.
	- there must rapidly be a public implementation of processing software. I
don't think - with the best will in the world - that we should wait for
reference implementation s from (say) the two major browser companies
	- there must not be fuzzy vocabularies. Either there are no vocabularies,
or we define them universally. For example <DC:creator> may be OK for a
metadata indexer but if we want precise behaviour of software we shall need
to be very clear on what syntax triggers what behaviour. This is an area
that people have not addressed properly yet...

	But - I am really looking forward to seeing it work. I think you should
expect some elementary enquiries at the start, and maybe answers to them
will help us all.
	For example, is there an FAQ for RDF? If not, that could be a first activity.

	P.

>Dan
>

>--
>Daniel.Brickley@bristol.ac.uk
>Research and Development Unit                    tel: +44(0)117 9288478
>Institute for Learning and Research Technology   http://www.ilrt.bris.ac.uk/
>University of Bristol,  Bristol BS8 1TN, UK.     fax: +44(0)117 9288473
>

>xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers. To post, mailto:xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
>Archived as: http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/
>To (un)subscribe, mailto:majordomo@ic.ac.uk the following message;
>(un)subscribe xml-dev