   Re: Attributes with Intent (and namespaces)

  • From: MURATA Makoto <murata@apsdc.ksp.fujixerox.co.jp>
  • To: "xml-dev@ic.ac.uk" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Wed, 01 Jul 1998 20:22:35 +0900

james anderson wrote:

> what is the advantage to leaving the articulation (URI x local) part open in
> this interface? why isn't the parameter an opaque object? i'm not sure what
> the application concern is, but, for the relations which occurred to me, there
> are better ways to do that than having to broaden all name-related interfaces.

The designer of a namespace merely provides a URI as well as element type
names and attribute names.  They do not provide unique prefixes.  Prefixes
within documents are merely local proxies.  It would be dead wrong for
application programs to rely on prefixes.

Makoto

Fuji Xerox Information Systems

Tel: +81-44-812-7230   Fax: +81-44-812-7231
E-mail: murata@apsdc.ksp.fujixerox.co.jp

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)