   Re: XSchema Spec, Section 3, Draft 1 (Namespaces)

  • From: "Simon St.Laurent" <SimonStL@classic.msn.com>
  • To: "Xml-Dev (E-mail)" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Jul 98 13:27:32 UT

>it doesn't make sense to
>require that a second mechanism duplicate (part of) the behaviour of the
>first.

Philosophically, XSchema's already a massive second mechanism.

>any processor which can read a document which follows the scahem spec
>will already have to be "namespace aware". it makes much more sense to
>require of the first mechanism, that it offer an (additional) interface
>function of the form
>  (document X qualified-name ) -> symbol.
>yes, this is missing in the present namespace proposal. which is reason to
>fix it (given that it's still in flux), not reason to do something else.

As I said before, this is one option.  I don't think the namespace proposal
adds anything to our processing of the XSchema at this point which the
namespace element doesn't do better.  I don't see XSchemas needing to
including both the namespace declaration for XSC-whatever and the declarations
for the instance elements; this separates the NS declaration for the XSchema
itself from the namespace declarations of documents-to-be-processed quite
neatly and adds extra functionality (documentation, etc.) that I think is
needed to make namespaces friendlier.

>for documentary purposes, or to bind a schema to the ns identifier if/once
>the src attribute gets dropped from the namespace pi, a namespace declaration

>for xschema makes perfect sense.

Precisely.

>an encoding which requires that information appear redundantly makes sense
>only in the face of noise or some other potential for misinterpretation.
>that's not the problem here.

Yes, the information will have to appear in the namespace declaration of the
document and in the namespace element of the XSchema used to define it.  The
issue isn't noise; the issue is independence from a painful search-and-replace
should the document or the XSchema owner change the prefix.  The information
will need to appear in both the document and the XSchema in one form or
another.

Simon St.Laurent
Dynamic HTML: A Primer / XML: A Primer / Cookies

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)