   Re: XSchema 1.0 proposals, preparing the ground

  • From: Peter Murray-Rust <peter@ursus.demon.co.uk>
  • To: rbourret@dvs1.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de (Ron Bourret),xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Thu, 02 Jul 1998 21:29:36

At 21:08 02/07/98 +0200, Ron Bourret wrote:
[...]
>At the risk of sounding totally ignorant (which is only half true), it
occurred
>to me that XLinks might cause problems here.  Specifically, if I
transclude part
>of one XSchema document into another, am I still guaranteed unique IDs?
This is
>such a basic thing, that I hope XLink covers it, but I haven't dug far
enough
>into that spec to find out.

AFAIUI XLink does not provide transclusion in the sense that two documents
are seamlessly fused together. XLink (even with AUTO and EMBED) is simply
the watertight embedding of one object in another. They have no syntactic,
semantic or other relation with each other. [If you want to use XLink for
this I suspect you need to invent a value for BEHAVIOR.]

In general terms I would commend the XSchem-ers not to try to map out all
the possibilities that (a) namespaces (b) XLink offer. This is not because
it's not a worthy effort, but I think that both specs are still in draft.
My personal opinion is that when we start implementing either (or both) of
these we are going to throw up some tricky problems - I may be too
pessimistic here. In any case I think XLink will need to be redrafted to
accommodate Namespaces...

	P.

net connection
http://www.venus.co.uk/vhg