   Re: XSchema Spec - Content Model Declarations (Section 2.3), Draft 4

  • From: John Cowan <cowan@locke.ccil.org>
  • To: XML Dev <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 11:45:49 -0400

Ron Bourret wrote:

> One can imagine an XSchema where the top-level element declarations themselves
> are relatively useless but exist so that an XLink can refer to their content
> models.  This is a bit hacky, but it's the only way I can see to duplicate the
> horiz.model and vert.model entities in John Cowan's Itsy B
> Bitsy Teeny Weeny Simple Hypertext DTD.

Very kludgy indeed.

I have one new proposal and one old one.  I'm thinking that several more
elements should be allowed at top level, namely AttDef, Choice, Sequence,
Mixed, NotationType, and EnumerationType.  These would then exist
as free-floating resources which could be referred to by idrefs
elsewhere.

The old proposal is for an AttGroup element, with a content model
of (Doc?, AttDef+), and available at top level and also within an Element
model.  This would allow multiple attributes to be treated as a
single thing for either documentation or reference.

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)