   Re: XCatalog proposal draft 0.1

  • From: Richard Goerwitz <Richard_Goerwitz@Brown.EDU>
  • To: XML Dev <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 18:07:56 -0400

John Cowan wrote:

> XCatalogs...come in two syntaxes: one which is a subset of Socat
> syntax, and one which is an XML document instance.

Seeing as they are typically metadata used to bootstrap DTD-based
XML processing, I don't believe that catalogs should require a DTD
- or, worse yet, have a hard-coded format or tag and attribute set.

Insofar as catalogs have any rigidly defined format, I'd think that
this format should consist at most of comments, a few keywords, and
quoted strings.

It would be nice if XML could kind of take over the world.  But one
of the reasons it has become popular is that it is (was?) fairly
straightforward and simple.

Actually, the popularity issue may be moot.  We have to keep in mind
that it's still hard just to find valid XML 1.0 instances on the net.

--

Richard Goerwitz
PGP key fingerprint:    C1 3E F4 23 7C 33 51 8D  3B 88 53 57 56 0D 38 A0

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)