   Re: What are data attributes (was Re: <XML:SCRIPT>)

  • From: james anderson <James.Anderson@mecomnet.de>
  • To: XML Dev <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 18:38:09 +0200

W. Eliot Kimber wrote:

> [an extended example related to 'data attributes' ...]
>
> In SGML, you can declare attributes for a notation and then use those
> attributes as part of a data entity declaration or (using the "Data
> attributes for elements" (DAFE) facility of the General Architecture ...
> on elements governed by that notation.  They are called "data attributes" ...
> The process I've described is no different from what people have been doing
> for years in SGML and HTML and XML, it's just that we've slapped a little
> layer of standardized syntax and semantics on it to enable wider
> generalization.  It does, however, depend on the data attributes facility,
> which the XML WG, over my strong personal objection (for what that's
> worth), elected not to include in XML.

why this last proviso?

the attribute namespace distinctions could be accomplished with namespace
declarations and the data attributes hung on 'notational' (rather than, but
analogous to 'architectural') elements.
except for entity notations, wouldn't that achieve the same thing. and as long
as one can use 'notation-enabled' x-links rather than entities, the
'notational' elements would suffice?

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)