   Javadoc comments or equivalent in XSchema

  • From: "Curt Arnold" <CurtA@worldnet.att.net>
  • To: <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jul 1998 01:42:10 -0500

I posted some observations from my use of XML-Data to define fairly large
grammers to microsoft.public.xml a few days ago.  I have just become aware
of XScheme from the recent announcement here and since it doesn't express
inheritance, 2 out of the 3 suggestions don't apply (allowing element types
that exist only for inheritance to be defined as pure virtual (that is not
to be used in file definition or show up in editors) and allowing to define
a group as all elements that inherit from an particular superclass).

I think the remaining one might be useful (or possibly already discussed
here).  I have been using some JavaDoc-like comments in my XML-Data
definitions to automatically generate HTML documentation for the document
content.  I have had my XML-Data to DTD converter modified to produce the
HTML documentation at the same time as it builds the DTD.

I haven't been making a distinction between regular comments and processed
comments and have only been using @see and @example formulations.  Between
minimal comments and information in the schema, it is able to do a
reasonably good job documenting how to use the schema.

Has any body else been doing anything in this area?

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)