   Re: Javadoc comments or equivalent in XSchema

  • From: Peter Murray-Rust <peter@ursus.demon.co.uk>
  • To: "Curt Arnold" <CurtA@worldnet.att.net>,<xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jul 1998 08:31:15

At 01:42 18/07/98 -0500, Curt Arnold wrote:
>I posted some observations from my use of XML-Data to define fairly large
>grammers to microsoft.public.xml a few days ago.  I have just become aware
>of XScheme from the recent announcement here and since it doesn't express
>inheritance, 2 out of the 3 suggestions don't apply (allowing element types
>that exist only for inheritance to be defined as pure virtual (that is not
>to be used in file definition or show up in editors) and allowing to define
>a group as all elements that inherit from an particular superclass).

I think the idea of 'inheritance' in documents is substantially different
from that in software. There are already ideas of 'inheritance' or scoping
in the xml:lang attribute and also in attributes in XLink. This is very
intimately connected with namespaces and I'd wait for the next draft of
that before doing too much in this area. [By all means go ahead and
experiment, but be warned that this is a tough area!]

	P.

net connection
http://www.venus.co.uk/vhg

(un)subscribe xml-dev