   Re: XSchema Spec - Element Declarations (Section 2.2), Draft 5

  • From: "Carl Hage" <carl@chage.com>
  • To: "Xml-Dev (E-mail)" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jul 1998 13:54:01 -0800

> Date:          Sat, 18 Jul 98 12:55:18 UT
> From:          "Simon St.Laurent" <SimonStL@classic.msn.com>

> <!ATTLIST XSC:ElementDecl
>        Root (Recommended | Possible | Unlikely) "Possible">

> The XSC:Name attribute must be unique within the set of elements,

Do you mean unique within the set of ElementDecls? (I suggest rewording
since element is ambiguous.)

> The XSC:Root attribute provides authoring tools with a guide for which
> elements are likely root elements for documents.

The semantics of the enumerated values is undefined. (A 1 word definition is
not suitable for a standard.) Clearly you have some specific ideas in mind.
There must be an unambiguous definition of the semantics, so developers who
create tools have a predictable behavior, and authors have guidelines as to
which choice is appropriate. Otherwise the attribute should be removed.
Carl Hage                                              C. Hage Associates
<mailto:carl@chage.com> Voice/Fax: 1-408-244-8410      1180 Reed Ave #51
<http://www.chage.com/chage/>                          Sunnyvale, CA 94086

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest