   SAX questions

  • From: Patrice Bonhomme <Patrice.Bonhomme@loria.fr>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 10:11:12 +0200

<hi/>

I have developped an XML Parser in Java and a tree based API which works fine.
I have implemented the whole XML 1.0 (REC 10-02-1998), the XML Namespaces (WD
27-03-1998, the Document Object Model Level 1 (DOM Core and XML, WD
16-04-1998) and both XML links and XML pointers.

I'd like now providing and event based API. I am considering the SAX API for
developping a SAX driver to my XML parser. I've got already an XMLFactory (an
interface with a default implementation) that constructs my XML objects and
i've got a few questions:

1/ For instance, the construction of the tree is supporting by the parser
(with some insertLast(...)).
Do i need to transfer the tree construction within the "default XML handler" ?

2/ What about CDATA sections, XML declaration, and validation processus ?

3/ If i understand the event-based philosophy, an XML parser do not need to
know something about DOM objects (no "new Element()", "new Comment()" called
within the code of the parser !) ?

4/ Is there a kind of "blue print" for developping an event-based XML parser ?

Thanks,

Pat.

PS: Informations about my XML parser are available at
http://www.loria.fr/projets/XSilfide/EN/sxp/
  bonhomme@loria.fr               |      Office : B.228
  http://www.loria.fr/~bonhomme   |      Phone  : 03 83 59 30 52
   * Serveur Silfide  : http://www.loria.fr/projets/Silfide