   Re: Namespaces and URNs

  • From: "Simon St.Laurent" <SimonStL@classic.msn.com>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Tue, 4 Aug 98 18:46:49 UT

Peter Murray-Rust writes:
>Having developed 2 DTDs (CML and VHG) I need to know how to prepare URNs
>for them. It seems clear that anyone wishing to create a DTD which can be
>used for Namespaces has to buy/borrow a domain name. (I suppose they could
>buy an FPI instead, but since I already have domain names I'd prefer to
>stick with those).

Have to agree with this one completely.  The PURL space is pretty handy (info
at http://www.purl.org, thanks to Dan Brickley again for pointing it out), but
tends to be pretty long.  I can use ISBN's as well, but since there's no
catalog for these things and no requirement that it point anyplace, I have a
hard time feeling that these identifiers are reliable and/or meaningful.  I
realize they don't have to be "reliable" or meaningful; I just wish they were
given some kind of meaning I could use to find out more about a particular
namespace.

Simon St.Laurent
Dynamic HTML: A Primer / XML: A Primer / Cookies

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)