   Re: Namespaces !

  • From: Toby Speight <tms@ansa.co.uk>
  • To: "XML developers' list" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: 05 Aug 1998 09:46:11 +0100

John> John Cowan <URL:mailto:cowan@locke.ccil.org>

0> In article <35C75C95.9E003C6D@locke.ccil.org>, John wrote:

John> Patrice Bonhomme wrote:

>> If the draft says it..... It sounds strange.  My parser reads a
>> tag name (prefix+local) of an Element and has to wait for the
>> namespace declaration to qualified this name.  For me, it is as
>> if we put the Element Declaration within the open tag of this
>> Element, unthinkable.

John> Not much of a problem, really, at least for SAX-style parsers
John> that return the GI and the attribute map at the same time.

It also works quite well for applications based on parsers like nsgmls,
which produce an ESIS stream with the attributes before the GI.

Having the NS declaration as an attribute of the topmost element to
use it may help applications which process a tree extracting subtrees
of a particular namespace.

(un)subscribe xml-dev