   Re: Namespaces !

  • From: Peter Murray-Rust <peter@ursus.demon.co.uk>
  • To: Patrice Bonhomme <Patrice.Bonhomme@loria.fr>,Toby Speight <tms@ansa.co.uk>
  • Date: Wed, 05 Aug 1998 11:32:19

At 11:14 05/08/98 +0200, Patrice Bonhomme wrote:

>I think that XML is really becoming HTML. I though that XML should be "a
>simplify subset of SGML" but it seems to be like the "Supra HTML
>recommandation".

No. There are already many applications which have very little resemblance
to HTML. For example WIDL, CDF, XML-Data, DublinCore, RDF, XSL, Chemical
Markup Language, etc. In principle most of these can be managed by
namespaces and (hopefully) compound documents can be created which contain
several of them.

Also, XML is a metalanguage - HTML is not. XML allows the extension and the
specification of an indefinitely large set of applications of which XHTML
(of whatever flavour) is simply one. An important one - which is why we
frequently post examples of it.

[...]

>We could also put the Element declaration (content model, attribute list
>declaration) as a set of "ghost" attributes within the element itself :
>
><P xml:cm="#PCDATA A ACRONYM APPLET B BASEFONT BDO BIG BR BUTTON CITE CODE
DFN
>EM FONT I IFRAME IMG INPUT KBD LABEL MAP OBJECT Q S SAMP SCRIPT SELECT SMALL
>SPAN STRIKE STRONG SUB SUP TEXTAREA TT U VAR" xml:attlist="ID ID #IMPLIED;
>LANG NAME #IMPLIED; etc..."> ... Funny, no ?

Although XML-DEV is open to any new ideas I predict you won't get an
immediate enthusiastic response from the XML-WG to this suggestion. There
are lots of possibilities that the WG has considered and some of them may
be replayed here. But I think they have already proposed other ways of
accomplishing this.

	P.

net connection
http://www.venus.co.uk/vhg