   Re: a request for clarifications on WD-xml-names-19980802

  • From: Peter Murray-Rust <peter@ursus.demon.co.uk>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Fri, 07 Aug 1998 00:55:52

At 22:59 06/08/98 +0200, james anderson wrote:
>greetings,
>
>i appreciate that w3c and the draft's authors have provided a forum to which
>one can direct questions about the latest working draft.

Yes - you have found the right mailto:

>there follow several postings which pose questions. i have endeavored to
>determine the answers by reading the document and by posting questions to
>xml-dev, but (in particular with regard to issues I through IV) have not yet
>arrived at answers sufficient to permit me to implement conforming support in
>an xml processor.

Probably worth exercising some patience. On XML-DEV there is no one person
who is mandated to answer questions so if an individual thinks they are too
hard or too obvious they'll keep quiet.

>there are five requests for further information. i am posting them in
separate messages.

>  I please specify the extent of the prefix binding as well as the scope.
> II please establish a method to bind a prefix which covers external dtd
subsets.
>III please provide examples which describe processing in the presence of
entities.
> IV please specify the precedence rules for attribute "specification".
>  V please explain why namespace partitions are necessary.

This is asking a lot... V in particular could be one line or several thousand.

Like you I appreciate examples but they take time to create. They are
beginning to arrive on this list so observe carefully. Also, try posting
some of your own and see if you get applauded or !applauded.

	P.

net connection
http://www.venus.co.uk/vhg

(un)subscribe xml-dev