   Re: Offtopic: Web Standards Project

  • From: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Sat, 08 Aug 1998 11:33:21 -0700

At 12:02 PM 8/8/98 -0500, W. Eliot Kimber wrote:
>So I'm wondering what the true motivation of the WSP is: publicity
>generator? counter to the W3C? public action group ala Nader's Raiders? The
>Green Peace of the Web?

Well, IMHO, the W3C has done its job in getting some potentially useful
standards published.  The W3C has not been effective as an advocacy or
bully-pulpit organization, and it's hard to see that happening, in part
because of some of the reasons raised by Eliot.

It seems quite possible that the people who organized the WSP, mostly
big-time site builders who spend other people's money to build highly
visible Web presences, are well-positioned to get some attention and do
some useful advocacy.  Which is why it interests me.  One interesting
discussion is, which standards to focus on... my personal bet would
be XML/CSS/DOM, because the implementations are just happening.  Is
it worthwhile, at this point in history, trying to retroactively
save HTML?  Real question. -Tim

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)