   Re: Offtopic: Web Standards Project

  • From: Steven Champeon <schampeo@hesketh.com>
  • To: Murray Altheim <altheim@mehitabel.eng.Sun.COM>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 17:48:33 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 10 Aug 1998, Murray Altheim wrote:
> Steven Champeon <schampeo@hesketh.com> writes:
> [...]
> > Any flames that start with "I ran your sites through the HTML validator
> > at the W3C, and ..." will be redirected to /dev/null.
>
> I think with this statement you've rather explicitly defined your
> interest in supporting existing standards, and therefore my interest
> in participating or supporting the WSP.

Hi, Murray.

I support your right to have whatever opinions of me and my level of
commitment to standards. The point I, and the WSP, are trying to make
is not that innovation (and hence potential variance from standards)
is bad, but that such innovation, *when it comes at the cost of a lack
of full support for existing standards*, is bad.

Does using a non-standard workaround for a bug in one's *markup* make a
desire for fully compliant *implementations* null and void? I don't think
it does. But, as I said, you are entitled to have whatever opinions
you like. I have to live in the real world.

Cheers,
Steve

--
http://a.jaundicedeye.com     <-- rants and writings