   Re: More on Namespaces (also long, but also optimistic)

  • From: james anderson <James.Anderson@mecomnet.de>
  • To: XML Dev <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 00:53:12 +0200

Peter Murray-Rust wrote:

> [...]
> >Note that the binding which effects the VHG:termEntry needs to be in the
> >containing element. Otherwise a consistent mechamism cannot be used to
> >determine its corresponding universal name unambiguously, given possible
> >attribute defaults.
> >
> ><?xml version="1.0"?>
> ><!DOCTYPE VanityHG [
> >  <!ENTITY %VanityDTD
> >           SYSTEM "http://VanityHouseAndGarden.org.uk/DTD/VHG.dtd" >
> >  <!ENTITY %VHGDTD
> >           SYSTEM "http://VHG.org.uk/DTD/VHG.dtd" >
> >  <!-- assert the prefix for Vanity... here -->
> >  <?namespace  prefix=''  ns="http://VanityHouseAndGarden.org.uk" ?>
> >  %VanityDTD
> >  <!-- assert the prefix for VHG... here -->
> >  <?namespace  prefix=''  ns="http://vhg.org.uk" ?>
> >  %VHGDTD
> >  <!-- i suggest that the scope of the preceeding namespace end here -->
> >]>
> >
> ><?namespace prefix='VanityHG' ns="http://VanityHouseAndGarden.org.uk" ?>
>
> I'm lost with these PIs. I thought they had disappeared....

Ah, but since the standard no asserts an interpretation for them which
precludes validation, a processor is free to use them in a way which enables validation.

Take them, for the sake of discussion, to establish a prefix/URI binding for
which the scope is the remainder of the logical entity in which they appear.

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)