   Re: a small question on xml

  • From: "Frank Boumphrey" <bckman@ix.netcom.com>
  • To: "Li Jiefeng" <jieli@cs.umbc.edu>, <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 14:17:06 -0400

Li wrote:

> I used IBM Parser for XML, but it shows some error. It seems that
>" and < are not properly represented.

>From section 2.4 of the XML spec obtainable at
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml

The ampersand character (&) and the left angle bracket (<) may appear in
their literal form only when used as markup delimiters, or within a comment,
a processing instruction, or a CDATA section. They are also legal within the
literal entity value of an internal entity declaration; see "4.3.2
Well-Formed Parsed Entities". If they are needed elsewhere, they must be
escaped using either numeric character references or the strings "&amp;" and
"&lt;" respectively. The right angle bracket (>) may be represented using
the string "&gt;", and must, for compatibility, be escaped using "&gt;" or a
character reference when it appears in the string "]]>" in content, when
that string is not marking the end of a CDATA section. "

Frank

Frank Boumphrey

XML and style sheet info at Http://www.hypermedic.com/style/index.htm