   RE: Is XML getting too hard? (was: Re: More on Namespaces...

  • From: Dean Roddey <roddey@us.ibm.com>
  • To: <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 14:26:16 -0400

>True - but does anyone else need that stuff either?  Okay, that's going too
>far. But does everyone else need it?  I don't think so.  This train is moving
>too fast, and apparently has no brakes.  I never thought I'd complain about
>standards moving too _quickly_, but XML seems to be breaking new ground in
>many different ways.

And what are the odds of getting any real compliance and interoperability with
so many specs
moving in so many directions so quickly? The odds of two tools being at the
same 'XML Place' at
the same 'XML Time' is probably pretty low if they weren't written by the same
person.

But isn't this the way it always works? Non-programmers get frustrated and
decide to create
something of their own. Then, if it catches on, it has to be expanded to be
able to do everything the
old system could do, by which time it is too complex and then non-programmers
get frustrated
and decide to create something of their own?

At some point you have a programming language and could have just used one to
begin with, and
left the other tool alone to stake out the low ground. I'm reading a couple
hours a day and I still feel like
I only barely understand the most basic issues, and I'm a hard core *C++*
programmer. I think that
the inability of a hard core C++ programmer to understand some other language
could be a legal
definition of 'too dang complicated' :-)

Just my opinion of course...

Dean Roddey
Software Weenie
IBM Center for Java Technology - Silicon Valley
roddey@us.ibm.com

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)