   XML/RDF for HyperThesauri(sm)

  • From: "Gerry Mckiernan" <GMCKIERN@gwgate.lib.iastate.edu>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 16:26:55 -0500

                                 XML/RDF for HyperThesauri(sm)

In my review of projects and applications that make use of standard or
innovative implementations of thesauri for Managed Conceptual Navigation in digital
collection [See my recent posting: _Brave New Word_], I have learned about the Virtual
HyperGlossary project of Peter Murray-Rust and Lesley West

        [http://www.gca.org/conf/meta98/xmldev98/peterm-r.htm ] .

                                                     [Snip]

In their implementation, Murray-Rust and West make use of XML and note:

   "Because XML is tree-based it supports hierarchical collections (e.g.,
 thesauri, catalogs, etc.)"

   Although their implementation _appears_ to be currently limited to glossaries,
it has occurred to me that their model and/or XML (or RDF) would be the ideal
means of creating HyperTextEd thesauri for electronic resources, most notably Managed
Conceptual Navigation to Web/Net resources that I envisioned in a concept I called
HyperThesauri(sm) in concluding one of my first print Web-related articles:

    New/Old World Wide Order:  The application of 'neo-conventional' functionality
 to facilitate access and use of a WWW database of science and technology
 Internet resources. _Journal of Internet Cataloging_ 1(1),  47-55, 1997

    For the survey article I am in the process of preparing, I would very much
appreciate learning about any current or pending projects that have or are considering the
use of XML or RDF to create thesauri for Managed Conceptual Navigation of digital
collection, as well as any reactions to this approach.

    As Always, Any and All Contributions, Queries, Questions, Concerns, or
 Critiques, or Comments are Most Welcolme.

    Joy!

Gerry McKiernan
Theoretical Librarian
Iowa State University
Ames IA 50011

gerrymck@iastate.edu
http://www.public.iastate.edu/~CYBERSTACKS/

     "The Best Way to Predict the Future is To Invent It!"
                                  Alan Kay

cc: Peter Murray-Rust

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest