   Re: Newbie Q

  • From: "Samuel R. Blackburn" <sblackbu@erols.com>
  • To: "Frank Blau" <fblau@nina.snohomish.wa.gov>,<xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 17:37:46 -0400

My rule of thumb is attributes contains data that is unique to that
particular object.

Let's say you have a database of people. You output a list of
names from that database in XML (this could be the result
of a database query such as "show me a list of people
between the ages of 18 and 24").

This list may contain duplicates. For example:

<PERSON>
   <LASTNAME>Smith</LASTNAME>
   <FIRSTNAME>John</FIRSTNAME>
</PERSON>
<PERSON>
   <LASTNAME>Smith</LASTNAME>
   <FIRSTNAME>John</FIRSTNAME>
</PERSON>

How do you tell them apart? You could use an attribute:

<PERSON id="44909">
   <LASTNAME>Smith</LASTNAME>
   <FIRSTNAME>John</FIRSTNAME>
</PERSON>