   Re: [ANN] Kludgey workarounds for IE and Netscape

  • From: Andy Dent <dent@highway1.com.au>
  • To: Andrew Bunner <bunner@massquantities.com>, xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 04:30:42 +0800

At 14:19 +0800 9/9/98, Andrew Bunner wrote:
>>The transformation part of XSL is intended to produce well-formed XML.
My perspective may be a little different from others because my initial use
of XML/XSL is for a report writer which renders to screen/print and only
secondarily to RTF and HTML.

The contrast with most of the tools I've looked at (and books I've read) is
to an XSL community that appear concerned with transforming one set of XML
to another. To be honest, I keep feeling there's something I've missed here
- if the transformation is just generating more XML I don't see that
containing enough information for a renderer.

Is there anything in the standard which says that, if you are rendering to
HTML, that you *have* to produce well-formed XML? If you have a server-side
processor of XML/XSL that is producing HTML I don't see why there's a
problem. Similarly, an embedded processor in a browser is surely free to
make its own interpretation.

Andy Dent, Software Designer, A.D. Software, Western Australia
OOFILE - Database, Reports, Graphs, GUI for c++ on Mac, Unix & Windows
PP2MFC - PowerPlant->MFC portability
http://www.highway1.com.au/adsoftware/crossplatform.html

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest