   Re: XSchema: Sections 5.0 and 5.1

  • From: Chris Maden <crism@oreilly.com>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 15:49:09 -0400 (EDT)

[Ron Bourret]
> I started with XSchema and then thought xschema was easier to type
> (says he who proposed mixed case element names).

[Ahem.]

[Ron Bourret]
> > > [2] XSchemaID ::= 'xschema' Eq SystemLiteral

[John Cowan]
> > Some provision needs to be made for a PubIdLiteral as well.

[Ron Bourret]
> I wondered about this.  I'll change the xschema in [2] to SYSTEM and
> add a production for PUBLIC.  Two questions:
>
> 1) Are there any conventions in PIs for use/no use of equals signs?

Not formally, but the trend (in the XML declaration, the old PI-based
namespace proposal, and the experimental stylesheet PI) is towards
attribute-like syntax.  It makes processing a bit easier; your
expression language can retrieve information about a PI in the same
way it retrieves information about attributes.

> 2) Do we always require a system identifier or are the choices
> system / public / both?

That's really a goals question.  If the initial cut at XSchema is to
have the same (or a slight superset of) functionality of a DTD, then a
system identifier must be required.  If schemas are intended to go
beyond DTDs, then consideration should be given to not requiring
system IDs.  But I suspect the discussion will end up following the
same track that the XML WG/SIG took: there is no widespread mechanism
yet for resolving FPIs, and so a document will be less portable with
no system ID.  But that is a long and tiring debate, and it may be
better, for now, to adopt the decision of the XML WG and require
system IDs.

-Chris

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest