   Re: XML representation of a Table

  • From: "Steve Muench" <SMUENCH@us.oracle.com>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: 21 Oct 98 12:53:12 -0700

You can tag things up in a generic row/column way, or in a way that makes
the natural relationships speak themselves more directly.

Pardon my ASCII art below, but if I have some tables in a
database like:

      AUTHOR
       \|/

       /|\
       BOOK
       \|/

      COURSE
       \|/

      TEACHER

If I'm thinking of Courses, then I might want my data in XML
to look like:

 <COURSE>
   <NAME>XML Basics</NAME>
   <TEACHER>
     <NAME>Joe Tags</NAME>
   </TEACHER>
   <BOOKLIST>
     <BOOK>
       <PRICE>50.00</PRICE>
       <NAME>Go, XML, Go!</NAME>
       <AUTHORLIST>
	 <AUTHOR>
	   <NAME>Dr. Seuss</NAME>
	 </AUTHOR>
       </AUTHORLIST>
     </BOOK>
   </BOOKLIST>
 </COURSE>

But if I'm thinking of Teachers I might want:

<TEACHER>
   <NAME>Joe Tags</NAME>
   <COURSELIST>
     <COURSE>
       <NAME>XML Basics</NAME>
       <BOOKLIST>
	 <BOOK>
	   <PRICE>50.00</PRICE>
	   <NAME>Go, XML, Go!</NAME>
	   <AUTHORLIST>
	     <AUTHOR>
	       <NAME>Dr. Seuss</NAME>
	     </AUTHOR>
	   </AUTHORLIST>
	 </BOOK>
       </BOOKLIST>
     </COURSE>
     <COURSE>
       <NAME>History of Markup</NAME>
       <BOOKLIST>
	 <BOOK>
	   <PRICE>18.00</PRICE>
	   <NAME>SGML, a History</NAME>
	   <AUTHORLIST>
	     <AUTHOR>
	       <NAME>Sammy Jones</NAME>
	     </AUTHOR>
	   </AUTHORLIST>
	 </BOOK>
	 <BOOK>
	   <PRICE>28.00</PRICE>
	   <NAME>Zen and the Art of Markup</NAME>
	   <AUTHORLIST>
	     <AUTHOR>
	       <NAME>Tao Bo</NAME>
	     </AUTHOR>
	   </AUTHORLIST>
	 </BOOK>
       </BOOKLIST>
     </COURSE>
   </COURSELIST>
 </TEACHER>

Of course there's no strict need for the <XXXLIST> enclosing tags, but
a browser trying to parse such a "datagram" might appreciate knowing
that a group of something was about to start...

Object relational databases have the ability to predefine a
nested structure as an object and then make metadata about
the structure of that object available to client programs
via data dictionary tables so that they might be written
to generically query and XML-format the data in an intelligent
way. Oracle8 has a feature called Object Views which lets
relational data be viewed as an object structure, so you
could combine these ideas to have your data structuring and
your logical data manipulation in whatever "shapes" make
sense for your app.

 Steve  | Consulting PM & XML Technology Evangelist | smuench@oracle.com
 Muench | Java Business Objects Dev't Team          | geocities.com/~smuench