   HTML Rendition of New Testament

  • From: "Michael Kay" <M.H.Kay@eng.icl.co.uk>
  • To: <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 10:14:05 +0100

FYI:
I have produced an HTML rendition of Jon Bosak's XML New Testament text,
which I have placed on some borrowed webspace at
http://www.wokchorsoc.freeserve.co.uk/bible-nt/index.html (It's a good read,
by the way).

This was produced using a SAXON application, about 200 lines of java, which
you can find at http://home.iclweb.com/icl2/mhkay/RenderBible.java.txt
I intend to include this as a sample application in the next SAXON release.
The program will also render the
Old Testament, but if you want to see the result you will have to run it
yourself.

The source XML is Jon Bosak's rel200 package which is available at
http://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/sun-info/xml/eg/rel200.zip
though I got a faster download from the mirror site at http://doc.ic.ac.uk

Some observations:

* Rendering the text once and putting the generated HTML on the web server
seems the right architectural approach in this case. As a very minimum,
breaking up the XML into page-sized chunks seems essential.

* I don't see any support in XSL for generating a hyperdocument of this
kind. Is this on the agenda?

* Although I've written 200 lines of code, there's very little procedural
logic. Only 4 elements require any custom logic, and with a few more
primitives these could be done declaratively as well. If I ever have time, I
think it's quite feasible to generate this SAXON application from a
sufficiently expressive stylesheet language.

* Anyone else want to volunteer alternative approaches to achieving the same
effect, so we can compare?

* Thanks to Jon Bosak for making the text available, I hope what I have done
is within the spirit of your intended use. Sorry I didn't have space to
mount all four texts, so I chose the one I am most at home with.

Regards, Mike Kay, ICL

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)