   Re: Content v. attribute

  • From: Dave Winer <dave@userland.com>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 08:02:55 -0800

I consider it a flaw of XML that it has two ways to do hierarchy, one much
more powerful than the other. In working with other companies about formats
you can get into endless meaningless debates about whether it's better to
use attributes or just stick with <tag> structures. When I design XML forms
for our own internal applications, I have generally found that if I use
attributes, I end up regretting it and switch over to straight tag
hierarchy. You always have the option of adding a structure where a scalar
used to be when you go that way. With attributes, you're at the end of the
road, no way to have structure, so I agree with John Cowan entirely, you
never know what's coming down the road, so it's better to leave some room
on either side. Dave